Paris - Alsace
Race Walking > Classic Races > Paris Alsace
well, actually Neuilly sur Marne to Ribeauville
For many years the town of Colmar has welcomed this classic race on its final stage. In 2015 a new organisation and a new race was born: the MMO - Marche Mythique Organisation which has sought to replicate the magic of the Paris Colmar of old.
So, now the race heads towards the pleasant town of Ribeauville instead.
Everything you need to know if you want to take part in the Paris Alsace (well almost everything!)
As ever, athletes will be invited to participate dependent on their performances over the qualifying races during the racing season. The qualifying races start in August of the preceding year
- Wadelincourt 24H (BEL) alternating with Vallorbe 24H (SUI) (August) [note: very often the Vallorbe race is cancelled so the first race will be Roubaix)
- Roubaix 28 hours (September)
- St. Thibault 24H (October)
- Bourges 24H (Feb/March)
- Chateau Thierry 24H (March)
- Le Grand Est (March/April)
- Dijon 24H (April)
The race: now in three distinct categories
However, 2018-19 season saw another new departure, in that anyone who wanted to compete in the 2019 race (and had taken part in the previous qualifying races) did not necessarily need an actual invite.
The Noceene was introduced for male walkers who wanted to experience the race but not necessarily wanted (or was invited to the Mytique - the men's race) but in 2019 (after a bit of a protest!) women are now allowed to participate....
The Vosgeenne is the original womens race but in 2019 men are now included!
La Mythique - 426 km : (Men)
Circuit Neuilly-sur-Marne, 9,200 km, start: 5 June 16 h
Château-Thierry - Epinal, 360,500 km, Start: 5 June from 20 h
Plainfaing à Ribeauvillé, 56,300 km, Start: 8- June from 9h to 10h
La Vosgéenne - 303,100 km : (Men/Women)
Circuit à Neuilly-sur-Marne, 9,200 km, Start: 16 h
Château-Thierry à Château-Thierry, 34,800 km, Start: 5 June from 20 h
Vitry-le-François à Epinal, 202,800 km, Start: 6 June from 16 h, [2 hours rest at Bar-le-Duc.]
Plainfaing à Ribeauvillé, 56,300 km, Start: 8 June from 9 h to 10h.
La Nocéenne - 227,200 km : (Men/Women)
Circuit à Neuilly-sur-Marne, 9,200 km, Start: 5- June 16 h,
Château-Thierry à Vitry-le-François, 161,700 km, Start: 5 JUne from 20 h
Plainfaing à Ribeauvillé, 56,300 km, Start: 8 June from 9h45.
Paris Alsace stages
The race is now broken down to stages where the race is "neutrsalised" at each stage finish. Within the stages there are control points (PCS) whihc the athlete must reach before it closes to avoid being dq'd.
- Stage 1 Neuilly sur Marne (all) 2018 saw a new stage 1 which consisted of 8 laps of 1050 meters around the Mairie. Previously, Stage 1 has started in Neuilly and finished in St Thibault.
- Stage 2 Chateau Thierry (all) Once again 2018 saw a new departure for the race:a 34.8km loop heading back towards Paris, going south of the river Marne to Charly sur Marne (19.9km) and then north of the river back to Chateau Thierry - 14.9km. The women stopped here (transfer to Vitry le Francois for the start stage 3) but the men continued to the stage finish in Epinal.
- Stage 3 (Men): Chateau Thierry - Epinal. This stage includes a compulsory 2 hour stop in Bar le Duc. A stop en route (often for a medical check) has been a feature of the race for many years.
- Stage 3 (Men & Women): Vitry le Francois - Epinal This follows the same route as the mens race from Vitry. 2018 saw another change of the actual route - missing out a lot of hills!
- Stage 4 Plainfang - Ribeauville (All) This stage hasn't change much since the race finished in Ribeauville.
The organisers do tweak the route every year for safety reasons - 20 camper vans on small roads can be difficult!
Results for the qualifying races (where Centurions have taken part)
- Race Rules
- Support vehicles and teams
- Getting there and where to stay
- Registration & medical
and much more....
km from start
Neuilly sur Marne
Neuilly sur Marne
men & women
8 laps of 1050 meters
men & women
2 hour compulsory stop in Bar le Duc
Vitry le Francois
men & women
Maps (not a complete set)