The Centurions Data Protection Policy
Your data is protected in accordance with legal regulations, namely the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) in force 25th May 2018.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write or e-mail us as soon as possible and we will amend any information found to be incorrect.
Centurions1911 have set out the policy below in line with the GDPR on the basis on which we process any personal data we collect from you, or that which you provide to us as a result of your qualifying as a Centurion, the use of our web site or services (eg purchase of Merchandise, etc).
We believe in and uphold the right to the privacy of all users of our website and services. We respect Centurions' confidentiality and will not disclose any information we hold to third parties without your express permission. Any databases we have are for our own in-house administration and will not be given or sold to a third party without express permission.
Summary information is collected automatically by our system e.g. number of visitors to the site, pages viewed, etc. This information is used to monitor use of the web site and does not contain information that can identify you as an individual.
We undertake not to pass on any of your details collected from this website to any third party and will only use the information you supply to us for the purpose for which it was given to us.
Cookies are used to provide certain features or functionality within a website. A cookie is a short text snippet that is sent to your browser by any website you visit. It stores information about your last visit, such as your preferred language or other settings. This will help you find your way around the site faster and use it more effectively the next time you visit it. Cookies play an important role and without them, surfing the web would often be frustrating
Any information we get from 'cookies' is for the administration of this website and we will only use 'cookies' when it is necessary for the efficient operation of this website. Any e-mails or addresses communicated to use are used only for the purpose intended by the sender.
Analytics Cookies are used to monitor how people use this website and how they reached this site. These cookies do not track any personal information and are used to analyse and improve the performance of the website. The service used on this website is provided by the website host company TSO Host and the information can only be accessed by the website administrator/manager.
Whenever you request a page through your browser, data such as:
• your IP address
• browser and version
• operating system
• time and date
• the site from which you came
the information is stored in a log file and/or database. This information cannot be used to identify specific individuals, and is only used for:
• Website and system administration
• Research and development
• Anonymous user analysis
Information supplied via this website will not be disclosed to any unauthorised third party.
Why and how we use your personal data?
All personal details supplied when you become a Centurion
This personal data includes your:
- contact details including name, email, telephone number and postal address;
- personal details including gender, Athletic Club, date of birth and any purchase history;
- images, photos and videos;
Your personal information is only visible to Centurion officers such as the Secretary, Captain, Assistant Secretary, Web Manager and Treasurer. They are not published on this website - but see "Race Results" paragraph below.
The Officers will only use your personal information for the purposes of administration, such as providing you with information about meetings, Centurion matters, forthcoming events organised by the Centurions and information that is relevant to you as a member of the Brotherhood of Centurions.
The Officers will NOT sell or give your information to any third party; nor will your details be available to other members without your explicit permission.
You may, of course, opt to share your contact details with other members of the Centurions1911.
We use your personal data in the following ways:
To provide information you request: when you use our website or social media sites, we will use your personal data to provide the requested product or service.
For example, if you make a purchase or participate in an event or promotion, we will use the contact information you give us to communicate with you about the purchase, event or promotion.
If you contact our Officers, we will use information about you, such as delivery or payment information, or a product you have purchased to help you resolve a problem or question.
To communicate information about our merchandise, events and for other promotional purposes.
If you are an existing Centurion, we may use the contact details you provided to send you newsletters or similar products (unless you have opted-out). We may use the information that you provide to us:
- to operate, improve and maintain the Brotherhood of Centurions and its products and services: For example, when you make a purchase of our merchandise, we use that information for accounting, audits and other internal functions.
- for general research and analysis purposes: we use data about how our visitors use our webisite and social media sites to understand customer behaviour or preferences. For example, we may use information about how visitors to Centurions1911.com search for and find information to better understand the best ways to organize and present our information.
Race results and other persoanl details appearing on this website (Centurions1911.org.uk) or the Centurions Facebook page
- The Centurions1911 publish an occasional newsletter and walk reports on its website because the website can be accessed by individuals who are not Centurions.
- This may also involve occasionally publishing photographs of Centurions whilst participating in races and social walks and events. (see below)
- We understand that this involves us using your personal information and we are committed to respecting your rights to data privacy – in particular, the General Data Protection Regulations requires us to be able to rely on a “lawful basis” when using your personal information. In this regard, we consider that we are able to rely on the lawful basis of our “legitimate interests”, namely publicising information about the Centurions and its activities to encourage interested individuals to take part in race walking and our social walks.
Almost all walkers at races and social events have a camera/smartphone and many are very keen to take photos of the venue, other race walkers, individually and in group shots etc.
Quite often there maybe "official" photographers as well as local press in attendance taking photos during an event. However, your photo is personal data and we have to have rules on how these are taken and stored.
1. Photos on Social Walks are dealt with (or should be) by the photgrapher asking permission to publish on our website, in a newsletter or on social media channels. Should your photo appear on the website, newsletter or on socail media (eg Facebook) and you have not given express permission, please contact the web master and we will take all reasonable efforts to remove the photo from the website, newsletter, etc.
2. Race photos: Race entries should (usually) deal with this and inform all participating individuals that by signing the terms and conditions of the race entry that this may involve photos being taken and published.
Basically, if you are sure that you don’t want your mugshot taken, then just turn your face away well away from the camera.
We are also committed to protecting your personal information and we want to give you as much control as possible as to how we use your personal information. Therefore, if you would prefer for us not to publish photographs of you on the Centurions1911 website, please let us know by emailing the Web Manager and we will ensure that any photographs of you which are not published on the website.
We may also hold details of name, date of birth, gender, club, etc, for the purpose of displaying race results for races which Centurions take part in. If you do not wish your information to be displayed, please contact the Web Manager.
Note: when entering a race you may have already consented to your information appearing in their results or being passed to a third party.
YOUR RIGHTS relating to your personal data
You have the right to request:
(i) access to your personal data;
(ii) an electronic copy of your personal data (portability);
(iii) correction of your personal data if it is incomplete or inaccurate; or
(iv) deletion or restriction of your personal data in certain circumstances provided by applicable law.
Where we have obtained your consent for the processing of your personal data, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time.
If you like would to request a copy of your personal data or exercise any of your other rights, please contact the Hon Secretary.
You can opt-out of receiving Centurions newsletters and other communications by modifying your preferences in the "opt in / opt out" section below. Alternatively, you can contact us using the contact details below.
Staying in and Opting out contact details: email the Web Manager
Third party [external] sites
This web site contains links to other web sites. Please note that the Centurions cannot be held responsible for the privacy practices of other web sites. We encourage all visitors to be aware and read the privacy statements of each and every web site that collects personally identifiable information.
"opt-in /opt-out" preferences
In accordance with data protection laws you should confirm whether you wish to continue to hear from us (or not) by email or by post....
Your details are held only so we can send you newsletters and information on events such as the Centurions AGM.
see above for our data protection policy
So please stay in touch and email your preferences here